Free ways to promote an online business
"If you build it, they will come" is not necessarily true on the Web. Putting a website up is one thing, but getting visitors to come to your site is another. The process becomes even more difficult if you have limited resources to market your business.
Here are some shoestring marketing ideas that can help you get the visitors you need at the least cost possible:
1. Create the best content you can with the best products you can possibly offer. Your content is your best advertisement - if visitors love your content, then they will go back and spread the word to others.
2. Rank well in the search engines (organic search results, not the pay per click). Search Engine's can be a big source of traffic. The key is to create the best content in your niche. If you have good content, other websites will gladly link to you and offer your site as a resource to their audience. Check the on-page factors and be sure to get linked from authority sites in your topic area.
3. The more links you have, the greater your chances for increasing your search engine rankings.
4. Improve your conversion. Getting visitors is one thing; getting them to buy your products is a whole different story. Read the article "Ways to Convert Visitors to Buyers" for tips on how to improve your conversion rates.
5. Contribute to other websites, forums and blogs relevant to your topic. You can search for topics similar to your site and make a list of websites, forums and blogs that cover the topic. You can then contribute by posting relevant posts, comments or articles, and including your signature file with your name and website URL. The key, however, is to post only RELEVANT contribution; otherwise, your post could appear spammy and the site owners/moderators can blacklist you. Make sure also to read the guidelines of the forum or website, as some may not allow you to post your site URL or signature file.
Source: Free Ways to Promote an Online Business